The addon Routes is a great way to create your own map for flying around like mad and collecting some ores. The best part is that you can import the entire wowhead database to assist in your mining/herbing/clouding/fishing/etc needs. Here's an excellent write up of how to use routes by Sekirei.
Hellos. For those who are wondering what Routes and Gathermate are or how to set them up here is a short guide.
1. Download and install the two addons(duh) and make sure to get the gathermate_data file as well.
2. In game do /gathermate and use the import database option choosing the type of resource you'd like to import: Herbs, Clouds, Mining nodes, Fishing pools etc.
3. After import is done and you can see a shitload of dots on the map do /routes.
4. Chose the option "Add", select the zone you'd like to create a route for, put a name there and hit OK.
5. Chose the type of resource you want to make the route for and hit Create route.
6. Your map should be full of crazy lines at this moment. Select the zone you created the route for and then select the actual route. Go to optimize and hit cluster and then Foreground.
7. If you did this right a nice continuous line should appear on the map.
All thats left to do now is mount up and go gather and laugh in the face of the other lesser farmers >:).
I know this is a big wall of text and I thank you for reading and hope this will help your gathering future :).